Grapes contain a property that is extremely toxic to our canine friends and lead to acute renal and kidney failure. It is currently unkown exactly what property found in grapes actually causes the problem, but it is a problem in all kinds of grapes, as well as their dried raisin form. So, if you want to give your dog a special treat, make sure you don't give them grapes in any form. Some of the symptoms of grape poisoning generally include diarrhea, vomiting, painful whining, and becoming lethargic. If you suspect that your dog has ingested more than just a very small amount of grapes, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. Dogs can sometimes be treated successfully if the situation is caught very early and swift medical attention is applied.
So, what should you do if you find that your pup has just helped himself to the grapes in the fruit basket? Here are a few things you can do to render immediate aid and possibly prevent permanent damage to your dog's kidneys, or prevent possible death:
• Induce Vomiting - This may not be necessary if your dog is vomiting already.
• Force your dog to eat burnt, (blackened/charred) toast. The burnt properties of the toast will actually help to absorb whatever it is that begins to cause the kidney failure.
• Get your dog to a veterinarian as soon as possible, even if they aren't showing initial symptoms. It takes about 48 hours worth of intravenous fluids to counteract the affects of the grapes. The sooner treatment is started, the better chance your dog has of surviving his binge.